Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Love Sarah (K2)


Jim and Sarah
It is hard to believe that we have just finished K8. Where did the time go?
In someways I feel like my year at Kaleo was a dream, like it happened ages ago in another era on some gorgeous island where time stood still. At least that is what I tell myself when I am stuck downtown surrounded by concret and the hustle of a busy city. Looking at pictures and seeing how young we were, and how life seemed a bit simpler when you had 20 friends, always doing and experiencing the same things you were.

In other ways I feel like it was just yesterday. This feeling comes when I see my fellow bible school mates, which thankfully is becoming more regular than not. A lot of stuff has happened in 8 years. Things I would have never have guessed. Jen and Mike are each gotten married (and not to each other), and so did Dan and Nicole. I learned so much, and had so much fun at Kaleo and I wanted to thank both you and Sarah for being such incredible people. 

You made me feel loved and at home Sarah. I always knew you were there for us gals. Whether it was watching Pride and Prejudice with us, having a tea date or letting us use your giant bath/baptismal tub if we really needed a good soak. :)  You hold a special place in my, and I know many other Kaleo girls heart's, so thank you. 
You are loved by many.

Also thank you for sharing your kids with me. Danny and Ben have become friends I know I will cherish for my whole life. The summer when they came and worked with me at Ness was one of the funnest I ever had... although there were some interesting times with Danny inthe kitchen. I remember having to remove the rosemary from the kitchen because it became his go to herb and was threatening to put them in our pancakes. :)


Jim, I wanted to give you a word of encouragement for the next stage in your life.  I read this and thought perhaps it might be useful. This is taken from"Change your Heart, Change your Life" by Gary Smalley. Some of it might not be aplicable but it talks about 
transitioning out of one type of ministry.

"I know a man who has been a pastor all his life. In his late forties, he became a victim of a power struggle at his church, which resulted in his getting fired. He could not find another pastorate, and he had to take a job in the business arena as a hardware salesman. The poor man was devastated. He had dreamed of being a pastor from childhood. Because being a pastor was all he had ever done, he expected to die in the pulpit or retire at a ripe old age. For more than a year he struggled with his self-worth, his self-image, and his sense of identity. In his mind he was a pastor, and now that he did not fill a pastor’s role, he didn’t know who he was.

Statistics show that a high percentage of retiring corporate executives and highly motivated businessmen will die within just a few short years of retirement. The reason: without their vocation they can no longer find a sense of meaning and purpose. They have made the mistake of defining themselves by their work, and the loss of that definition leaves them anchor-less and empty. 

Being a Christian means that a person must not define themselves by what he does. What he does must flow out of who he is. Who he is must be well established in relationship to God. A person must find his identity in following God’s will for his life, and his vocation must conform to that inner, sense of identity, that calling to be an instrument in God’s hand.
If we place ourselves first in God’s hands, we will be willing to be remolded into a different form when God deems it’s time for us to make a change in our vocation. We must always be ready to submit willingly to such a change. If our identity is secure in him, a change in vocation is merely an outward adjustment. It has nothing to do with the meaning and purpose of  the person you are at the core of your being."

Jim and Sarah, I am excited to see where this next part of your journey takes you. You two have been a good, faithful and humble servants, and I hope you will feel celebrated this month, and thanked for all your efforts. 
Love Sarah

Here are some random videos to bring back memories of K2 being crazy:

laurie leading the boys on a 90's dance during missions fest

No comments: